Thursday 22 April 2010

Tools

I've been buying a few little toys recently...

I'm a sucker for collecting things so I am trying my hardest to hold back on spending any more cash on cameras and lenses, but this little one was only a few quid so it doesn't count, right?

Anyway, I'm keen to shoot this project with a mixture of cameras, all of which have their own strengths and personalities, so it I thought I'd let you know what's in my tool box in case you were wondering.

1. Canon 50D - the workhorse digi camera I use for the majority of my surf shots. With a 300m lens, a 1.4x convertor and the cropped sensor, I can get in pretty tight on the action, then I've got a few other lens for more pulled stuff and a tokina fisheye faker for the water shots.

2. Olympus E-P1 PEN - bit of a luxury item. Basically it's a high quality digi with a couple of decent lenses and styled like a retro rangefinder. It's really good for quick lifestyle shots and street photography, plus the HD video on it is pretty sick for such a small camera.

3. Mamiya C220 - an old school medium format Twin Lens Reflex camera, which takes 120 film (the big square photos.) Taking photos with this is quite a slow process, but it's sharpness, shallow depth of field and special quality makes it perfect for portraits. I'm still getting used to it but the shot above was taken with the Mamiya.

4. Bencini Koroll II - pictured above, I picked up this little beauty at the car boot sale the other day. It takes the same square format film as the Mamiya but it splits them in two so you get kind of panoramics. Quality-wise I think it will be a bit dodge like a Holga, but hopefully quite special. Haven't seen the results yet so I'll let you know.

Now all I need is some waves to shoot. (in any county apart from Cornwall or Devon)

No comments:

Post a Comment